Connect with us

Published

on

Maurizio Sarri had never won a major trophy before May’s Europa League win, having spent much of his career in Italy’s lower leagues

Chelsea have agreed a deal in principle for their manager Maurizio Sarri to join Serie A champions Juventus.

An agreement was reached late on Thursday evening after talks between senior officials. A deal could be completed as early as Friday.

It is understood a compensation fee in excess of £5m has been agreed.

Sarri arrived from Napoli in July 2018 and led the Blues to third place in the Premier League and won the Europa League in his one season in charge.

Despite signing a three-year deal last July, he will become the ninth full-time manager to leave the club under Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

Throughout the 60-year-old Italian’s time at Stamford Bridge there was repeated speculation about his position, with Chelsea fans expressing their discontent at tactics and team selections.

One of the low points came in February when goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga challenged his authority by refusing to be substituted in the Carabao Cup final at Wembley, shortly before Chelsea were beaten in a penalty shootout by Manchester City.

But Sarri did manage to win his first ever trophy as manager with a 4-1 victory over Arsenal in May in the Europa League final, and after the match said “he deserved” to stay with the club.

Chelsea are currently unable to sign any players after they were banned for two transfer windows by Fifa – a decision they are appealing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Their star player Eden Hazard has joined Real Madrid for a fee that could exceed £150m.

Significantly, Chelsea have not asked for the suspension to be put on hold until a final decision is reached. It means their only new arrival might be USA forward Christian Pulisic, a £58m signing from Borussia Dortmund in January, who spent the remainder of the campaign on loan in Germany.

Juventus are managerless after Massimiliano Allegri left at the end of last season, having won the league title in each of his five seasons since taking charge in 2014.

 

 

 

 

SOURCE: BBC.COM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

All Set For Kwesi Nyantakyi Hearing

Published

on

 

Former President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Kwesi Nyantakyi, will challenge his life ban from soccer for ethics violations at the Court of Arbitration for Sport next month.

The Switzerland-based court, which deals with specifically deals with sports issues, said the hearing is on July 4.

Verdicts typically follow within a few months.

Nyantakyi was filmed by controversial investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas accepting $65,000 in cash from the undercover reporter posing as businessmen seeking favours.

He rejected the report as concocted and designed with special effects to get him out of office, insisting that the money was the promised reimbursement of the expenses he and others travelled to Dubai to meet the reports but the film was unfairly edited to put him in a bad light.

He resigned days before the 2018 World Cup as the senior vice president of African soccer’s governing body and president of the GFA.

Nyantakyi also left FIFA’s ruling committee, which paid an annual $250,000 stipend. He was one of Africa’s elected delegates since 2016.

FIFA’s ethics committee found him guilty last October on charges of bribery, corruption and conflict of interest.

Nyantakyi was also fined 500,000 Swiss francs ($504,000).

-Ghanasoccernet

Continue Reading

Sports

NFL Star Set For Accra Football Champ

Published

on

 

FLASHBACK: Ziggy (in a scarf) with participants and scouts at last year’s camp. 

Ghana’s NFL star Ezekiel ‘Ziggy’ Ansah is expected to host his third annual football camp scheduled for the University of Ghana, Legon Park, on June 29.

The camp, which seeks to discover and nurture talents, will see hundreds of senior high school students from all over the country participate in the game.

Participants will be taken through a number of techniques and skills in playing American football.

According to the organisers, the purpose of hosting the event annually is to promote healthy living, physical education, teamwork and how one can work towards one’s goal.

The former Detroit Lions Pro Bowl pass rusher, who joined the Seattle Seahawks on a one-year contract, is confident this year’s football camp will be greater than the previous years.

“This is one thing that I have really been passionate about. Growing up I never had anybody coming down [to Ghana] to do a football camp for me. But it’s something I learnt in the States; it has been great so far. I am looking forward to making it even bigger and better than previous years,” Ziggy said.

Over the years, the defensive end player has given back to society and continues to reach out more to deprived people through the Ezekiel Ansah Foundation, a non-profit organisation that strongly believes that with the right support and opportunity, they can steer youth on the right path and help them realise that they are, in fact, the answer to their own success.

To participate in the third Ezekiel Ansah football camp, register at www.eafghana.org.

Ezekiel Nana Ansah is a Ghanaian who played American football for the Detroit Lions and is currently signed to play for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL).

He is the youngest of five children. Edward Richmond Ansah, his father, worked for a petroleum company and Elizabeth, his mother, is a nurse.

 

 

SOURCE: DAILYGUIDEAFRICA.COM

Continue Reading

Sports

Vondrousova Shocks Konta to Set Up French Open Final with Ashleigh Barty

Published

on

Teenager Marketa Vondrousova defeated Britain’s Johanna Konta to reach the French Open final and set up a showdown with No 8 seed Ashleigh Barty.

The 19-year-old Czech player, competing in only her ninth grand slam event, came from breaks down in both sets as she beat No 26 seed Konta 7-5, 7-6 at Roland Garros.

She was 5-3 down in the first set before winning four games in a row, and she was down by the same scoreline in the second set before prevailing on her first match point as she won the tie-break.

She will face Barty who also produced a comeback as the No 8 seed came from a set down and a break behind to beat Amanda Anisimova 6-7, 6-3, 6-3.

The Australian lost the first set on a tie-break, and was 3-0 down in the second set, before she hit back.

The 23 year old, who won the Miami Masters in April, was broken first in the final set, but broke back immediately before a break in the sixth game proved decisive.

She sealed victory with her sixth match point and she will now look to be the first Australian since Margaret Court in 1973 to win the women’s title at Roland Garros.

Read more: http://v.duta.us/evcxXgAA

Continue Reading

Trending